[RC] Pulse - Punishing the non-Arab breeds -- a suggested solution to the problem - Flora Hillman

...continued from the previous e-mail.....

A number of us (meaning our local cadre of endurance riders) have talked about what can be done.  We've discussed asking the AERC to have the vets take individual parameters for the horses as they check in for their pre-ride vet check  -- incorporating a special "hold box" where the rider and horse would have to sign in and wait and relax for 10 minutes (to prevent those who would jog their horses around, or get them jazzed up to elevate the heart rate), and then have the vets taking a true resting pulse.  If it failed to be lower than... say.... 54 (or whatever), the horse had to wait another 10 minutes before having a pulse check.    If the horse was anxious, or looking for a buddy, or something else was happening internally that wouldn't all the 54 criteria (like the horse had to pee.. and wouldn't) then the rider would be assigned the meet the standard 60 or 64 beat per minute at the holds.  That would prevent cheating -- specifically those who would attempt to manipulate their horses hear-rate prior to the vet-in in order to get a higher pulse criteria.  All others who met the resting pulse criteria would have a recorded hold criteria of 20 beats above the resting, not to exceed 72.

Then coming in the holds during the actual ride, that horse would have to meet their individual criteria before they would be allowed to start the hold time.  Easy to do -- and easy to keep track of -- since the resting pulse info already has a designated place on the rider card.  The hold pulse criteria would be written next to the resting pulse. There is not one iota more the vet has to do other than to glance at the horse's individual criteria, and see if it's been met.

THAT scenario would level the playing field -- AND give ALL THE DIFFERENT BREEDS a chance to not only compete... but to win.

 We want... and need... this organization to be as fair as possible for ALL their members and ALL the different breeds, but to overburden with rules that only suit one breed, and penalize all the rest, isn't the way to do it.  If the organization pushes to lower it's current "one-size-fits-all" criteria, then I think what may happen is that only Arabian horses will be able to compete successfully for the win -- so the AERC might as well become the Arabian Endurance Ride Cartel -- or they will have to initiate different divisions (similar to eventing and dressage and the AHSA) that are split Arab and non-Arab.  Maybe even horse and pony.

And yet ... we could take a big step forward into the 21st century by just recording the resting pulse at the beginning, and using that for the individual's criteria to complete.  Easy, simple, expedient... and fair.

Think about the above, guys.   We need fairness for all, not a "one shoe size -- one breed only" mentality.

In closing, I'd like to briefly address the metabolic issues I've seen and heard during many of the final holds of an endurance ride -- when horses are beginning to be marginal, or are halfway there, but the vets are letting them go anyway, and NOTHING is written on the card!  I've watched and overheard  vets caution riders, and then watched those same riders book it once they were out of sight of the hold.   At first it astonished me -- now  I know why.  They aren't "penalized" by having a vet remark anything on the card, so ... who's to know?  They can top ten with impunity, and not a word is said. I think it's about time something is recorded on the card.

Enough for now ... have to go out and ride in this lovely 14" + of snow currently being dumped on Northern VA and Washington DC.

Flora Hillman
AERC #30079