[RC] preventing treated horses - Wendy Mancini

    I am a novice to endurance, only  700 mi. to date.  I have learned more about horse physiology in the past 2 years than in the 40 yrs of horsing around before.  I sought out that information because I wanted my horse to do well & I wanted to protect my horse & I didn't let my ego get in the way.   It seems that most people in endurance are passionate about their horses and the sport but there will always be the person whose ego is bigger than their brain.
    I've been reading all the banter since Stagg's  original question of what can be done to cut down on treated horses at rides.  So, sticking to the subject, I don't think we necessarily have to change all the rules but rather play by them & look at what else we can do to just improve on what is currently done.
    1.  I like just coming in, getting HR & vetting.  HR 64.  If there's a problem that I haven't recognized then I'll know it immediately.  Rider DDS (Distance Dementia Syndrome) can set in at any time.
    2.  Great idea - pulse out - 50?  If not, back to vet.  Poor CRI - PULL.  I never took the pulse going out but I will now even if it's not required.
    3.  Holds - I like the 30 - 45 -30  for 50's.  Can't speak to 100s because I've never done one.  Tack on or off depends on weather conditions & should be determined by the vets.
    4.  Holds - If there are only 2 then maybe 50 & 50 min.  and entrants having minimum mileage requirements for both horse & rider.
    5.  Holds - If there's only one hold it better be at least an hour &  absolute minimum mileage requirements for horse & rider  - 500 mi.?  A real novice entering a ride with 1 hold could be a real disaster.
    6.  AERC could put out a recommended reading list for new members.
    7.  Vets should just pull a horse when the signs indicate the horse is in trouble.  I was surprised at how apologetic the vets were at one ride when they pulled my horse for lameness in the hind.  I hadn't felt it & couldn't see it while I was trotting him out.  I was disappointed but thankful that they pulled him.  I was able to start treating the problem immediately.   The point is, the vet is there to protect the horse, not the rider's ego.  When it's iffy - Vets speak up - tell the rider what you think, make suggestions & make them come back for a second check.
    8.  Lower HR  criteria - might identify horses in trouble, might just increase time.  Any research to back up this idea?
    Lastly,  I ride a 19 yo black bay QH and he pulses down as fast as any Arab.  Resting pulse is 36-38.  Is there any valid research to show differences in recovery rates between breeds?