[RC] Preventing Treated Horses - Stagg_Newman

Linda,

What you are proposing is similar to what is done in Great Britain in
competitive trail riding
where the have Gold, Silver, and Bronze level rides with the Gold being the
longest rides
at the fastest paces, etc.  It is also similar to what Mathew MacKay Smith
has proposed.

In some sense this is much more akin to Competitive Trail Ridin but at a
more challenging level.

It would be interesting to get the views of more of the AERC membership at
large.  My guess is most people
still favor the current system.

Personally I do both CTR, mainly 3-day 100s (100s are sort of my thing) and
endurance.  And I must
admit I enjoy the compeitive aspects of endurance and the racing aspect.  I
actually favor much
tigher controls, lower mandatory pulse recoveries, etc. as I think that
will give the best protection
to the horses (I have been on CTRs where a number of horses were treated
because they were
trying to make the maximum time limit) while preserving the competitive
aspects of the sport.

BTW one of the good things about AERC time limits today compared with CTR
is one can actually
go slower in an AERC ride as still complete which sometimes if the right
answer for the horse.

Stagg

                    nevadaghostrid

                    r@xxxxxxxxx (L        To:
Stagg_Newman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                    Eisele)               cc:     ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    02/13/2003            Subject:     Re: [RC]
Preventing Treated Horses at Rides - Ideas Please
                    04:48 PM

Thankyou Stagg for your feedback on my idea re: no placings except BC.
You are right not all treated horses are front runners and some
suggestions of less distance between vet checks, longer holds are also
great ideas and all should be considered.
I still am very much against racing and feel endurance is completeing a
course by a time limit and winning is completing with a sound
horse...the best conditioned horse receiving BC.
Doing away with placings will cut down on some sick horses but not all
yet that in itself is enough reason  to do away with placings and then
instill the extra vet checks, longer checks and educate, educate,
educate.
We would look better in the eyes of activists and general public...the
word "race or racing"  congures up a negative
response from the uninvolved onlooker.

Linda

Linda Eisele & LS Lakota
hubby Allen & LS Iceman
2 great sons-Blue & Nick
canine Scooby, feline Tuna
nevadaghostridr@xxxxxxxxx
Reno, Nevada

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.