[RC] preventing treatments thread - Kathie Ford

This is a good and important thread I think and people like me value it..thank you..

Made me concerned enough to ask a question.

I have a great horse that I think has a lot of potential as an endurance horse.  She loves the trail, loves to explore, lots of natural stamina, nice to ride good legs and hoof.

However, this horse has one BAD fault. She hates needles, and it is very tough to treat her.  Just realized this a few weeks ago when she cut her leg.  First injury she has had since I've had her.  She was chased by another horse of mine and slipped on the only rocks I have in my pasture.  Cut the front of her fetlock pretty bad.  It was a nightmare trying to treat her!  She is a normally very well behaved horse.  I was surprised how hard it was to treat her.  It took two to three people at first just to wash her leg.  Luckily I was there when it happened so I could treat it right away.  But boy, what a big baby!!

This is a concern to me because if she ever did need treatment at or after a ride (and I hope never!)  it worries me greatly that she would be so difficult we might not be able to help her.  This is my only reservation in riding her in competition.

Therefore,  I am going to take the very best care of her that I can, get to know her as well as I can so I can detect anything that might be considered not normal for her and act accordingly.

I will never let my guard down with this horse.  I don't want to keep her home doing nothing that's not good for her and she is always at the gate saying "a ride today would be nice please!".  She actually "trots" to the trailer...never had a horse like to go places like that!  I'm going to have to really pay attention.

So, I'm paying very close attention to this thread and thank you for it.  Hopefully, I can learn and never have her in that kind of a position in the first place even though I know sometimes you can do your best and things still happen.  I hate that thought...

Keep the thread going..good stuff.

much thanks,

kathie

ps..if anyone has ideas on how I can "reschool" this horse to accept shots and treatment would be appreciated.  She is a very sweet but extremely sensitive mare.  She definately has personal boundaries.