Re: [RC] Preventing Treated Horses at Rides - Ideas Please - Magnumsmom

Stagg wrote:
[...]
 2. What are actions that we as riders and crew can take to prevent our
horses from needing treatment?
[...]

ALWAYS leave a little left in the tank.  This is something
my grandfather, who was an independant mechanic, used
to say about how to get your vehicle to last too.  Never
push the pedal all the way to the floor.

As for entrance vs exit vetchecks, I think there are probably
things that can be caught on both ends.  Also, I think that
exit checking in addition to entrance checks might be a bit
difficult at rides where peaks can cause backups... thus the
idea of letting the rider check at anypoint during the 45 mins
or whatever hold.

To Jennifer who said:
[...] Just by talking to people online and on the phone I dont
think that is the case in this sport.? I dont think anyone
wants to kill there [sic] horse over a sport.? [...]

The vast majority of endurance riders don't ride to kill.
Unfortunately there is a very small percentage who...
er... did.  A slightly larger percentage are extremely
lucky endurance riders whose horses have been saved
at endurance rides soley by heroic endurance vets.

Remember the idea in a situation like this is to support
the rider so the horse gets the treatment it needs, not
put a rider into a situation where they do not seek
treatment for their horse because of fear or shame.

Ultimately, responsibiltiy for horse safety and health at
AERC rides does rest soley with the rider.  This is good.

Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM
... who is certainly is not anywhere near an ideal endurance
rider or horse owner.