[RC] Odd Gaited Arab - Missy Whitmire

My Egyptian Arab, Miad, began to do a "half trot half canter" gait,  when we moved up to 50 mile rides, never did this on LD rides.  He was about 9 yo when we started 50s, now is almost 14.  He only does it on the long, flat trails we have here in the southeast. Usually on the second or third loop, when he sees a long stretch of flat trail or road ahead, he of course wants to fly, if I hold him back he goes into this "gait" front feet are cantering and back feet are trotting, I think.  It is very comfortable to ride, and he will keep it up until he sees another horse ahead, then canters.  I don't know if it is stressful on him or not, so I usually get him back in his big trot after awhile.  Other riders always comment when they see us, "is your arab gaited, he's racking!!"  I call it his "boogie".

Do you Yahoo!?