Re: [RC] Stollen Dogs - Linda

Annie...

    There is a book called "Stolen for Profit", I can't remember the author .  It is about rings of dog theives (through deception, stealing them out of yards, etc) that sell to research.  When I read it I was shocked that there was such an organized "underworld" of people.   I thought it was good reading for any animal owner (dog or horse) because it showed you the how's and why's of their business, and maybe a person could recognize when "a ring" was working in their area and take precautions.

Linda
(on our way to Westminster... wish us luck!)

It seems that dog thieves are as busy as horse thieves. My puppy search project turned this up, so I thought it was worth passing on.

TWO BLUE NINE WEEK OLD SHAR PEI PUPPIES STOLEN IN MINNESOTA
On Sunday, January 19, 2003, a woman named Elizabeth Yard, New
Brighton, MN
and James Johnsen (Maybe aliases) purchased one show quality blue
brushcoat=
 male and his sister a blue bearcoat female for $1,900. There may be a
third
party involved name Wendy Andersen of Brooklyn Center, MN.
BEWARE, they are wonderful actors. Elizabeth shared how she was going
to ve=
t tech school and was going to use the puppy in her training. Elizabeth
was =
very personable. Wells Fargo Bank has informed us that Elizabeth
Yard's
 banking account was a bogus account.
We called the two phone numbers that Elizabeth gave us and they had
been di=
sconnected. We contacted the Lindstrom, MN Sheriff's office and the St.
Paul=
, MN Police Department. We were informed that this wasn't the first
time the=
y had done this. On January 6, 2003, they purchased 2 AKC Beagle
puppies and=
 did the same thing to those breeders.
They are driving a late model Chevrolet light tan crewcab pickup. If
you se=
e or hear of these people, or if someone calls you about buying or
selling
the puppies described above, please ask them for their names and phone
numb=
ers and then call us at 651-257-4304 or Officer Theresa Spencer, St.
Paul Po=
lice, at 651-248-3997, or the Chisago County Sheriff's
Department at
651-257-4100.
The Sheriff advised us that we probably will never see our puppies
again as=
 they may be in a different state by now. We are trying all avenues to
find =
our puppies and at the same time alert all breeders. If you belong to
other
dog clubs, please pass this information on to them. Permission to cross
pos=
t. All we want is our puppies back.
Greg & Becky Biedermann
Hidden Haven Shar-Pei