Re: [RC] About Hidalgo - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: Tracy Cann

I've read up on sites for and against the story being true and came up with this.  It seems that the guy read up on real events, changed the stories some or allot, and put himself in the stories instead of the real people who 'did the deeds'.  There isn't any evidence that the 'race in Arabia' happened but there were brutal races there at the time so maybe that's where he got that.  ........  It looks like a great movie and Viggo Mortensen being in it doesn't hurt either.  I can't really figure out what all the uproar is about anyway.  Just my opinion.

~Tracy~

*** Well, lets look at a comparable situation.  Lets say Disney decided to do a movie about Tevis; perhaps focus on some "hard luck" winner, or maybe even a first time winner.  Then lets say they showed all kinds of horses falling off cliffs, breaking legs in rocks, racing in dangerous places, being ridden to death, you get the picture.  Then lets say they promote this is a "true story."

It would not be honest and would give an inaccurate picture of Tevis and endurance riding.

The movie Hildago is promoted about being about some brutal endurance race....again, maybe giving a false and bad impression of endurance riding.

All Disney had to do, and the ethical thing to have done would have been to promote the movie as
"based on the legend of Frank  Hopkins."
Karen