Re: [RC] [RC] was When to call animal control? Now EIA/Coggins - heidi

David, you are correct, there are many standards of care. I don't know
what state you are in, but first you can call your ag dept. and find out
what the protocol is for checking for coggins.  They are required, by
law in most states to at least have that.

Actually, I think that states which require Coggins tests are in the
minority, and are pretty much limited to states in the SE.  I don't know
what is typical of SE states, but in Texas (which is as close to the SE as
I've personally ventured with horses), Coggins tests are required only if
you move or sell the horses, from what I understand.  For those of us in
the western and northern parts of the country, Coggins tests are only
required if we take horses across state lines, and in some cases, some
states even have reciprocal agreements where that is not necessary (Oregon
and Washington had such an agreement for many years, and may still have
it--haven't paid attention to it since I moved to Idaho).  While EIA does
occasionally pop up "up here" it isn't a particular threat, since we
simply don't have the vectors to make it readily contagious.  Hence there
is considerably less regulatory concern about it.

(David, like me, is in the NW, so mandatory Coggins testing isn't relevant.)

Heidi