Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 1:58 PM
Subject: [RC] When to call animal control?

OK, but I still don't really feel I have an answer to my question. There's my standards of care, and then somewhere below that there's what the typical owner does, and then below that there's neglect, and then abuse.

For example, our horses (even the one that is retired) never go more than 8 weeks without farrier care. Some people think 12 weeks is OK (IMHO, this is borderline OK), others go to twice a year (bad, but is it abuse?). Where do you draw the line? When should animal control be involved?

BTW, in terms of "bring it on" - our truck got keyed on 3 panels. $700 worth of damage unless we can get it fixed cheap. I'm not sure which of 2 neighbors did it. Even if I knew, then there's doing anything about it. Happened right after the incident with the neighbor's horses. I'm not especially up for putting my property and animals at risk if it isn't going to help anything. I'll take some substantial risks if I think it is going to help.

BTW2, I used the term "ratting out" because that's what the person who started this question about the pony used. A failed attempt at humor...