[RC] Robert E. Lee Re his mount Traveller - rides2far

The Southerns mounted on Saddlebreds

According to my relatives they rode anything they got their hands on.
I've never heard anyone say Traveller "gaited". As a matter of fact I
read where Robert E's son had to ride Traveller one day and his prancy
trot (I took it as possible jigging) wore him out. I had a big horse that
would give me a walk but you had to relax just right on him or he'd jig
and he did that with others. Thought maybe it was that type deal. He
doesn't seem to have a modern Saddlebred shoulder or high set neck. To
tell the truth, it's hard to nail down his breed because he's the perfect
horse that avoids all extremes. To create a breed identity you sort of
have to choose a trait and exagerate it. Traveller is the poster child
for "All things in moderation".

In another Civil War/endurance analogy...I read that Nathan Bedford
Forest's men "rode their horses right out of their hooves" in an area
that happened to be known for very high selenium content. The diet may
have been the problem there. NBF was a great cavalryman, unfortunately
his relationship with the KKK overshadows that.

There are several references in Mary Chestnut's Civil War diaries to
"President Jefferson's Arabian Horse" which her husband had been
entrusted with keeping safe. Seems like it said it had been a gift but
I've never heard it mentioned in any other book. Anybody know the story
on that?

Angie

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!