[RC] new riders/mentors - Jonni Jewell

the RM enacted a mandatory 1 hour hold time, leaving 5 hours to complete
25 miles (through the TX Hill Country = not flat fast course) **less** times
for meeting criteria, so essentially 4.5 hours of ride time <<<

A one hour hold is not uncommon for a 25 mile ride...even at rides out in
California where there are LONG climbs, and tough mountains.(Bandera IS flat
compared to some rides in other regions, that allow the same time frame)
Not sure how you are figuring 4.5 hours of ride time. Your horse recovering
and meeting criteria is PART of you ride time. Some horses recover quickly,
some take more time. This is what determines the fitness of the animal. I
rode the 50 miler, and the longest it took my horse to recover was about 4
min. The other times I went straight from the trail, to the pulse check, and
he was down.We were keeping about a 5 to 5.5 mph pace, planning on using
most of the day to finish. (which we did!)

So, take out the 1 hour hold from the 6 hours to finish, and you have an
average pace to keep of 5 mph for your 25 miles. You have to figure the
recovery time, your water stops, tinkle breaks etc. into that pace. The
trail had plenty of places to move along at a nice trot or canter, to make
up time for the short sections of rocks. They warned us that we needed to
move out when the trail was good, as there were sections that would be slow
going. This is all part of endurance riding. The more rides you get to, the
better you will get at figuring pace etc. of your horse.

But there were no mile markers on the trail (is this common?)<<<

The LBJ Grasslands (where I am guessing you might ride some) is one of the
few places that has permanent mile markers on the trails. If you want to
know your mileage, I would suggest you might want to buy one of the Timex
speed / distance watches. You can get fairly accurate mileage, and also know
what your speed, or even average speed for the day is.

and we had a reduced amount of time to complete due to the extra long
hold.<<<

Again, that really is not an "extra long" hold. Ask yourself how much time
you had in that hour to feed and care for your horse, check tack, feed
yourself if needed, change any clothes due to the temperature changing etc.
etc. AND, give your horse time to just rest a little. I bet that hour was up
before you knew it.

Jonni (No. Texas)