Re: [RC] Competitive Trail Riding horses treated? - Dbeverly4

In a message dated 12/12/2003 7:51:45 PM Pacific Standard Time, rides2far@xxxxxxxx writes:
Since the open NATRC pace is not
that slow, and many of our horses who are having problems are not going
that fast...surely you all have had troubles too.  Any stats?
Angie, I think some of the horses that you have seen at NATRC rides are Novice division horses...those *may* be the ones that you think  look unsuited to the sport.  Just like you see alot of LD horses that don't look like *endurance* horses.

As far as stats on horse deaths at NATRC rides....I honestly have to say that I don't think we have enough horse deaths to even pop up on the radar screen!  I know that sounds like a head in the sand deal, but I've ridden NATRC for the last 14 years.....I've only seen 2 horses actually "treated" and they were both Novice division horses and a shot of banamine fixed them up and they were fine...its just NOT something we see with Open (longer distance...2 days 50 or 60 mile) level horses.  I'm not saying that some of our Open horses have NOT been treated, I've just not seen it happen and I've travelled to alot of different regions and competed in our National Championship rides (CC) several times.  Whereas, I've lost track of the number of 50 or 100 mile horses I've seen on IVs.  (including Harca once years ago, I'm ashamed to say....He finished all A's and then just didn't feel good so he went on fluids right away)

I love both these sports and I think they each have their place. I think there are a whole bunch of endurance newbies who would take away alot of really GOOD information if they went to a NATRC ride before they went to an endurance ride.  NATRC really is a great place to learn about the details of long distance riding. But I would NOT want to see it made mandatory that you do so many LDs or so many CTRs either...I just can't see how that would be a good thing either.

Sylvia