[RC] new riders/mentors - Kristen A. Fisher

I was at this ride as well and also thought the mentoring was a great idea.

However, on this same ride, the RM enacted a mandatory 1 hour hold time, leaving 5 hours to complete 25 miles (through the TX Hill Country = not flat fast course) **less** times for meeting criteria, so essentially 4.5 hours of ride time  The ride manager stated the ride was to be a test of horsemanship, which is great. But there were no mile markers on the trail (is this common?), and we had a reduced amount of time to complete due to the extra long hold. So it was difficult to know how hard to push to complete as we couldn't be sure how far out we were.  I think this defeated some of the RM's intentions.

Kristen in TX

From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Jenna=20Pywell?= <poisonousdwarf@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   new riders.
while we are on this topic i would like to tell everyone about an idea that was put forward by a ride manager at a ride i was at in the hill country a couple of weeks ago. She essentially said that anyone who was willing to 'sponsor' or mentor a newbie (her requirement of the oldie was 6 rides or more) would only have to pay half their entry fee. I personally thought this was a great idea