Re: [RC] new riders/mentors - Sundaez

In a message dated 12/12/2003 7:08:53 PM Pacific Standard Time, kskf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Many agree new riders should slow down, but over 4.5 hours is too slow (reiterating the quote "if you can't do 25 miles in 4.5 hours you probably should not be out there.")
That comment kinda stung to me too. I suppose I "could" have done a couple 25's faster too but in one ride I was at there was so much sand it was impossible to go that fast without risking a tendon bow, and at another ride my horse was a bit nervy so I went slow to calm her down.

I think it's way easier to race than go slow. I lost control at a 25 and ran the first 6 miles. And no there was NO WAY I could have ever predicted this mare had that kind of competitive spirit in her. I've had her since a youngster and she was never like that on group rides before. Sure my mare would have loved to run the entire 25 but I wouldn't let her once I got her brain back. I stayed almost an hour in the vet check just to "make up" that speed I had done at the beginning. She was fine, all A's, but I know she would have burned out fast had I continued that fast, not to mention what that would have done to her mentally. Last thing I want to do with my mare is create an idiot. I like to do other things with her besides endurance. We completed the ride at a 4.5 mile shuffle. So lesson learned...start at the back...if you aren't going to top 10 go slow. I want this horse for 100 milers.

BTW I learned more my first year riding my Icelandic....I think he taught me more than any mentor could have! Maybe newbies should ride a non Arab their first year to get humbled <g>

Mel