Re: [RC] Competitive Trail Riding horses treated? - JANUSTUDIO

In a message dated 12/13/03 8:52:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rides2far@xxxxxxxx writes:

<<
Let me restate that. I'm not suggesting that NATRC (that's the only CT
I've been exposed to) horses are "inferior". There are definately some
darned good ones. I was trying to point out that their general population
of entries may be at a disadvantage as compared to endurance because the
people with borderline extreme muscling horses choose them. So, though we
may ride them faster, the fact that they might have more horses
predisposed to problems may bring the stress level overall closer
together. Is that clear as mud? :-P

I think the reason you see more diversity of breeds and body builds in CTR is
that it isn't a sport that is based on speed. Open's maximum speed (in NATRC)
is 6mph.
So, people take the horse that they love and enjoy the sport of distance
riding, and still have a chance at a ribbon. Some of these horses, and I'm not
just speaking of Arabs, could easily also do endurance. And, some do.

My experience here in the SE, R5 is that the few horses that I've seen being
held at P/R stops are the heavy, big, dark horses that gait.  That is on a
hot, humid day. I've seen pulls for slow recoveries and lameness, galls etc.
just
as in endurance regardless of build or breed. But, very few. Novice seem to
have a harder time, but they are still in learning mode, so it is to be
expected. The good thing about NATRC is that the more experienced CP riders and
the
Open riders are very willing to help out and mentor new riders. All you have to
do is ask.  Sometimes you don't even have to ask. We tend to speak up if we
see someone struggling along, clueless. <g>

It is true that some NATRC riders tend to keep blinders on, refusing to see
beyond the rules of NATRC, and the way it has always been done, and not even
read or listen to  anything about any other way of doing distance riding. And,
yes some CTR riders think endurance is cruel.  I've also heard (loudly) why
NATRC is boring, too many rules, too slow, too picky, tying to trailers is
cruel,
and on and on. . .

Too bad for both, as I find that both sports have great ideas and they both
are fun and beneficial to my well being, (mental as well as physical). I like
to think my horses also enjoy it.

Jan