Re: [RC] Competitive Trail Riding horses treated? - Lynn Kinsky

I think that the reason you often see horses not "built to do the
distance" give a CTR a try, is they are looking for something else to
do with
their horses, rather than go around in circles in an arena. I

Let me restate that. I'm not suggesting that NATRC (that's the only CT I've been exposed to) horses are "inferior". There are definately some darned good ones. I was trying to point out that their general population of entries may be at a disadvantage as compared to endurance because the people with borderline extreme muscling horses choose them. So, though we may ride them faster, the fact that they might have more horses predisposed to problems may bring the stress level overall closer together. Is that clear as mud? :-P

In 50+ NATRC rides that I have ridden or been involved with, I have only seen one horse that needed jugging. It was in 1991 at a desert ride in 110 degree heat and an arrogant bastard overrode his Novice horse in defiance of the ride pace (which was set at about 3 mph -- he was going in gait at about 6 mph, faster than even the Open pace) and against the warnings and advice of the P&R people at the three morning P&Rs. He was pulled by the ride vet at lunch.

Sadly, this person was in my breed -- but not after I filed a protest and told his ranch partner what I witnessed <g>. The horse was still alive and sound two years ago when I talked to its current owner. The horse was fit enough to do the ride -- as the ride was designed.
--

Lynn KInsky, Santa Ynez, CA http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/