[RC] going slow = solution? - Marlene Moss

I just want to add a little bit to the conversation!  I would also probably be considered a newbie.  I’ve been doing distance riding for 4 years now. I started with CTR because I was a little scared of my horse.  She’d done endurance and had different opinions than me as to our speed.  If she wasn’t a difficult horse to ride, I might have embraced that and ridden too fast for our conditioning level.  I learned a lot from CTR, but I think now I am learning more about how to care for my horse rather than worrying about points.

Anyhow, I’ve been doing more “endurance” rides (starting with LD) and preferring multidays when I can get to them and now moving into 50’s.  While no one would think I’m a speed demon, we have been going faster and getting into the idea of competition.  I really would rather not know I am 9th (and want to stay there) or 11th (and just have to pass that next rider), but if I do know, I have been embarrassed at the competitive feeling that I couldn’t control.

At a ride last summer, there were very few riders entered – less than 10 for the 50.  So we knew we could go whatever speed we wanted and still top 10.  One of the vets in the mountain region is very concerned about gut sounds and she really encouraged us to let our horses eat on the trail.  I think this was one of my greatest learning experiences.  To have absolutely no reason to hurry and learn how we should really be controlling our ride without competition.

Now, this doesn’t mean we just poked along.  We pretty much trotted 8-12mph everywhere the terrain allowed.  But we gave the horses several good long eating breaks.  Of course they did forget they were in a ride since everyone else long passed us!

But the reward was the vet saying that she wished all the other horses looked as good as ours at the end of a 50 and that they had the best gut sounds.  I hope to take this “plan” to all future rides.

So my lesson from this is that you don’t have to just walk to “go slow”.  You can move at a comfortable pace.  But give the horse breaks throughout the ride and let them maintain their digestive system.  It also calms their minds.  And I am not encouraging galloping your horse flat out and then forcing them to stop and think they’re going to eat and then “catch up”.  Just do what you’d do on a long conditioning ride.

I think that time on trail can also be detrimental if you are not letting them eat sufficiently, so forcing a newbie to walk for 50 miles without the education that encouraging the horse to eat on the trail might not be enough of an education.

Just my thoughts!

Marlene

PS - And please, if you see me on the trail – don’t tell me what position I’m in!

Marlene Moss

Moss Rock Endurance Adventures

www.mossrockendurance.com

marlene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx