Re: [RC] New Rider Proposal - Joe Long

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 06:10:51 -0800, "Tom Dean" <eriders@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

I think the negative "personal" bantering about all "horse saving" ideas
on ridecamp, is hurting the process.  Keeping horses safe, is the most
important issue, but somebody is going to have demonstrate that any of
these ideas would have saved ONE horse.  Of the four horse deaths that I
am very familiar with over the last two years, none of these rules
proposals would have helped.

Excellent point, rationally made.

I am pretty sure that if we slowed the freeways down to 20 mph, we would
reduce freeway deaths by 99%.

Actually, I doubt that.  Because nobody would actually drive 20 mph,
just as most drivers didn't drive 55 mph when the Feds forced all the
States to go to that speed limit.  When the 55 mph limit was removed,
you had some groups loudly predicting an increase in highway deaths,
but the opposite happened -- as speed limits on freeways were
increased, deaths on those freeways went down.  A wonderful example of
how rules that will "obviously" help, don't help.

...Let's be careful that we do not put in
bunch of rules that "would not" have saved a horse, just to make
yourselves feel like we are doing something and maybe ruin what many of
us like about endurance.

Agreed.

With all due respect to our list members from other countries, reading
the rules some of them ride under just makes me all the more glad that
I live in the United States.  Just because country "X" has this or
that rule, and is happy with it, does not mean the AERC should adopt
the same.  Like your mother told you, "If Johnny jumps off a bridge,
would you jump off too?"

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx