[RC] New Rider Proposal - Tom Dean

I think the negative “personal” bantering about all “horse saving” ideas on ridecamp, is hurting the process.  Keeping horses safe, is the most important issue, but somebody is going to have demonstrate that any of these ideas would have saved ONE horse.  Of the four horse deaths that I am very familiar with over the last two years, none of these rules proposals would have helped.

I am pretty sure that if we slowed the freeways down to 20 mph, we would reduce freeway deaths by 99%.  But then they would not be freeways.  If we make everybody walk around the course, we would have the same result, but it would not be endurance.  Let’s be careful that we do not put in bunch of rules that “would not” have saved a horse, just to make yourselves feel like we are doing something and maybe ruin what many of us like about endurance.

Tom