[RC] New Rider Proposals (how new is new?) - Jonni Jewell

Karen posted: >>>I'll admit to being new to endurance, having ridden my
first LD ride a few months ago .. but I've have owned, ridden and trained my
own horses for over 40 years.  I don't think I'd like being lumped in a "new
rider"category and treated like I don't know anything. <snip> but I do have
enough sense to know when my horse is off which is exactly what happened at
my first ride and pull him at the first vet check (even though he
passed).<<<

"Off" as in lame? Or "off" as in not doing right??? Being off (lame) does
not kill horses, just damages them. It is the metabolics that we need to
understand to the best of our ability to protect our horses. There are
riders with 20+ years in the sport of endurance, and tens of thousands of
competition miles who still do not know when to call it a day when the
horses is metabolically  not right. Most folks who have owned horses all
their lives, but have not been involved in distance riding, only know to
read and understand the basics, usually in regards to a colic type
situation. Understanding gut sounds in the different sections, knowing what
that gum color REALLY means, watching for change in anal and muscle tone,
skin tenting etc.  Riders have been depending on the vets to protect them,
and tell them if their horse is "fine" for too long. I think it is time
riders take more responsibility on how their horse is "really" doing. They
are the ones spending the day with the animal on the trail, not the vet. The
vet has a few min. to analyze the horse, and move to the next one.  They
will find obvious issues with the animal. The riders SHOULD know of the ones
that the vet does not see. (and TELL THE VET!)  Not eating or drinking as
they normally do, lack of enthusiasm, not wanting to move out like normal
etc. etc. If the vet says the horse meets all parameters, but your gut
feeling is that the horse is just not right, then talk to the vet, and pull
if you feel it is the best thing to do!

If I wanted a lot of rules, I'd ride NATRC<<<

I wonder how many folks feel this way towards NATRC or the other competitive
trail riding organizations, but have never actually competed at a ride?????
Talk to many of the long time endurance riders, and they will often tell
riders it is a great place to start out before moving into endurance. You
will learn to pace an animal, the horse is started in a quieter, calmer
environment than the start of many endurance rides, and tend to not get as
"race minded" and excited. The vet checks are often more thorough than
endurance rides, as the horse is checked for not only metobolics, but
injuries, sore back, rubs, interference marks etc. Something "some"
endurance vets are very good about checking, but others skip many of these
areas. And the score cards you receive are worth the entry fee.

Jonni