RE: [RC] New Rider Proposals (how new is new?) - Karen Williams

<<"Off" as in lame? Or "off" as in not doing right???>>

Off as in not doing right.  No sign of lameness or distress -- just a change
in attitude.  I suspect he pulled a chest muscle the night before when he
got tangled up in his blanket.   He was sore in the chest during the vet
check.   Ok -- not metabolic, but my point is that if you know your horse
you know when something is "not right".   The signs may be subtle, but they
are there.

Also -- not every horse is perfect.  They may have conditions that under
normal circumstances would never affect them.  You take them to a ride where
the physical and stress levels are much higher and they crash.  Maybe in
order to protect horses we should just abolish any activity that induces
stress?

*********

<<Most folks who have owned horses all
their lives, but have not been involved in distance riding, only know to
read and understand the basics, usually in regards to a colic type
situation.>>

You're kidding, right?  Are you saying only experienced distance riders know
how to read their horses?    :-0

******************

<<I wonder how many folks feel this way towards NATRC or the other
competitive
trail riding organizations, but have never actually competed at a
ride?????'>>

I did a few NATRC rides over 20 years ago.  You couldn't get off and walk
down the trail, you couldn't stop within two miles of the finish, you got
judged on how well you camped and how clean your horse was.  The
"experienced" riders I was with (who were introducing me to the sport)
galloped (not cantered)  for at least 10 miles and then sat outside the
2-mile limit until the horses quit heaving.   I sure learned a lot from
that!

Karen Williams
Spotsylvania, VA
www.mattariver.com