Re: [RC] New Rider Proposals (how new is new?) - Jonni Jewell

I'm sure there's some good stuff about CT. but monitoring of the horse's
condition, in my opinion is not superior to endurance rides.<<<

I did not mean to imply they were superior. Because the vet scoring at CTR's
determine placing, in many cases it seems to make riders more aware, and
make efforts to make changes to get their scores higher.Things like  rubs
from ill fitting tack, interference marks from over reaching, sore backs
will get you points off, and I think some riders are made more aware of
these things than from an endurance ride, where it may or may not be
checked. (I did an endurance ride a couple weeks ago, and the vet never saw
my horses back except at check in...horse remained saddled the rest of the
checks...even final...but I was checking his back myself) For a new rider, I
think being made aware of little things like tack rubs and such, might have
them looking to fix it before it becomes major issues. Same with sore backs.
Is it from poor riding style, or ill fitting saddles?  Those new to the
sport riders often need a lot of guidance in these areas, and unless they
have a good mentor, or a vet who has no line, and extra time to talk to the
rider and explain in depth, go unchanged.

Jonni (who rides both CTR and endurance, and enjoy both)