[RC] A reply to David LeBlanc - Hickory Ridge Arabians

A reply to David LeBlanc regarding our trails.

There are multiple reasons for equestrians loosing trails.
The issue of "being out there" is something that can be dealt with  one way
or the other.
Science.  The AERC has worked hand in hand with Enviro-Horse  to debunk
some of the fuzzy science being used to close trails.
There are other areas where fuzzy science had been used, trails closed,
and now we are coming back challenging the bogus biology.  All of that
takes time to overcome.  But, here is the best part.  WE are no longer
operating from behind the 8 ball.  Equestrians are now organized on a
national basis
to deal  with national issues.  Most of which are access issues.  The
federal land  managers  now know we are on board to solve environmental
issues.
The politics of trail access is multifaceted.  We need qualified personnel
on the ground  making a difference with the land managers.  Occasionally we
find we have a
land  manager and staff that has contracted the green disease.  When faced
with  that obstacle  we move to a political solution which may include
bringing in the local
congressman/woman  to assist changing the land managers attitude or
preconceived positions.
We normally save the big hitters for the very last.

Are we involved politically? Absolutely.  Are we making a change?
Absolutely!
Is there a lot of work left to do.  With out a question.  Are we as
endurance riders making  a change out there in trail preservation land?  A
phenomenal turn around has
taken place in  the past several years with our heavy duty involvement.  WE
are making a  huge difference.
To all of you who have been out there working with your land managers to
make a difference,  I want to thank you time and time again.  Your hard work
is noticed.  It
does make a difference.  We may not save every trail, but our losses are
beginning to turn around and  we are making  progress.
Jerry Fruth
Chairman AERC Trails Committee
Member AHC Recreation and Land Use Committee