Re: [RC] RE:Check out these mustang records - Sisu West Ranch

One should make a distinction between recently captured BLM horses and Kiger
Mustangs, Spanish Mustangs etc.  The Spanish Mustangs come from a closed
registry and were hand picked many years ago out of a whole bunch of BLM
horses by the man who founded their regiistry.  I have a friend who has been
carefully breeding them for 30 years.  Yes his Spanish Mustangs do quite
well in endurance competitions.  The Kiger Mustang web site shows an ideal
Kiger etc.  They are newer, but are well on their way to becoming a
carefully bred breed of horses.

The MN Horse Council sponsered a BLM horse auction one time.  I saw the
horses and they were bad horses (I do not mean underfed or wild, I mean
horses with very bad conformation).  The next year I asked a friend who was
on the board of the horse council why they were not having a BLM horse
auction.  She replied that they would not until they could be assured of
getting good horses to auction.

At an endurance ride one time I saw a BLM gelding with the strangest
conformation I have ever seen.  In his defence he did finish the ride.  He
looked like some sort of a Wildebeast.  His front end was at least twice as
big as his rear end.  His back sloped very sharply up from the croup to the
whithers.  Since a horse gets his impulsion from the butt, I don't know how
he managed to go 50 miles.  Shear guts I guess.

Before the flames start:  I do understand that there are good BLM horses.  I
do understand that the Kiger Mustangs came from a particular herd, which has
been split in two and preserved.  My point is that the BLM, at least
sometimes puts up for aduption, horses with very poor conformation.   It
doesn't do anyone any good try to save bad horses when good horses are being
shipped for slaughter in much of the US.
Ed and Wendy Hauser
Sisu West
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875