RE: [RC] Being Forced to Do An LD - David LeBlanc

I don't completely agree here. Our retired mare did a whole bunch of very
fast, mostly top-10 LD with my wife over several years (pre-1995, so won't
show in the history). I started riding her in 1999. In 2000, we took her out
on a 60, and it completely rearranged her attitudes. All it took was _one_
ride to show her a whole new world, and we did slow 50's (excepting one) and
75's the rest of the year.

I had about the same experience with Laser - he started with LD, and he's a
very good horse - put him in an LD ride, he'll be up there. I can do 6 hour
50's or I can do 10 hour 50's - my choice (and his - if he feels lazy that
day, we just go slow). Last week, we put a child on the horse for her first
slow LD ride. Very next day, I rode him in a quick 30. Earlier the same
week, we did a slow 50 and a slow 60. We taught the horse to ride the ride
we ask him to do.

IMHO, it's also up to the rider to pace the horse the way they want it done
(yes, easier said than done sometimes). There's nothing that says you have
to zoom through an LD. I don't think the distance teaches them to go fast -
the _rider_ teaches them to go fast. Same rider can teach them to go slow.
Your 30 milers at home didn't ruin the horse, so why should a 30 at a ride
be any different?

Once I looked up Karen Chatton's record, noticed an alternating pattern of
really fast and really slow rides, and asked her about it - she told me that
she wanted the horse to always listen to her and not pre-suppose what a ride
should be. I think that's a very smart approach.

BTW, here's an idea on how to amend the rule they're talking about that
might make it more palatable. If you have more than some large number of
miles or rides (say 1000, maybe 3000 - something), then we figure you have
enough experience to decide how to start your horse, and you can start with
50's if you want. I do understand there would still be exceptions - I rode
with one earlier this year.