Re: [RC] [RC] Ft. Valley: Let em' race! - Truman Prevatt

I'm not sure that was John's point at all. Any rider can assume all his own risk and is free to do so. But when that risk spills over to someone else - especially someone else not involved in the event then he has responsibility for his actions be it driving a car or driving a horse.

I believe that was what the MT protest found.

While pratically this may not be an issue in remote areas with few trail users that are not part of a ride or on private land, it is an issue in those areas where there are multiple trail users on the trail. This is the way I read John's post. I cannot comments of the specifics of his observation other than that if they are running the trails at Ft. Valley the way they normally run it the danger is probably minimal since you can see what is coming for quite a way - but that fact does not remove the responsibility of riders to ride in such a way as not to endanger others.

We endurance riders don't own the trails when we are sharing them with other legitimate trails users on public lands. We had an accident at a SE ride some years back where a 10 year old boy's horse died and the boy was injured when some endurance riders passed and his horse took off and he didn't have the strength or experience to stop the horse. The horse dumped the boy and ran through the woods hitting a tree and killing itself.

Guess who's insurance paid for the horse without one whimper.

When we ride on public trails that are shared with other users we have the added responsibility to ride in such a manner that we do not endanger other users. If we don't we may just find ourselves not being able to use those trails in the future for endurance rides.

Truman

Heidi Smith wrote:

Riders assume risks at the race track, going over fences, and even doing
walk-trot-canter classes in the arena--went to a horse show last month and
one girl got shook up pretty bad when she came off her horse in the arena
sand at a canter.

Heck, life is a risk--I get in my truck every day and drive down the highway
to work, despite cars coming 70 mph from the other direction, and
dark-colored moose that like to hang out on the highway after dark when I'm
late getting home.  I guess I should give that up, too, and just stay home.
But oh, yeah--I get asthma at home if I start up the woodstove in the
winter, so I guess that's risky, too...

Lighten up, John Thunder--riders and RM's certainly do what they can (and
need to do what they can) to minimize risk by developing the appropriate
skills or by designing finish areas as safely as possible.  But people ride
this sport because they love the nature of what it is--and there is some
element of risk in the nature of everything.

Heidi