[RC] Ft Valley 50 A Newbies Perspective - William Rice

I guess if one has to pick one's first 50 this is the one to pick.  First and
foremost a message to ride management, please do not change the course for next
year--I am coming back and going to try to get it right next time!
So where to begin?  A year and a half ago is the best point when I realized
there was an actual use for horses and I decided I ought to learn to ride and
give this aspect of endurance competition a go.  Wife found a nice appaloosa
and a good instructor and the games began.  We volunteered at CTR and endurance
rides to start figuring out what was required and to meet all of you nice
people!  At the beginning of this year we started on CTR's and some LD's.
Gotta' admit I still think running is easier, but perhaps not as much fun :-)
I also knew I needed a different horse to go beyond 30 miles and thanks to
Kathy, Tom, Julie and Nancy got Summertime, my first arab and my second horse!
So the summer passes and soon it is time to ante up and go for a 50.  Which one
to do?  Well Irving, Kathy, Tom, and a host of others said how nice Virginia is
and what a good ride it would be (now if ignorance is bliss then I am one of
the happiest people on the planet) so of course I said okay let's do it!
Especially since Tom and Irving would be there to help me through.
So I loaded up the trailer and headed south to the land of grits and sweet tea
(ah nirvana again).  Met up with Irving on the road and a new friend (another
Kathy and her mom Ruth) and south we went.  Got to the campground on Wed before
the ride and settled in.  Man it is cold in Virginia and to think I thought
leaving Maine would give me a break--oh well back to that bliss thing :-)  Soon
Barbara joined us and then Tom arrived and our merry crew was ready.
We moved up to the big ridecamp corral on Friday morning and began the
preparations.  Having learned a thing or two about distance over the years and
with the guidance of these veteran riders I got my hold gear together and told
Summertime that tomorrow we would be on the trail.   Our plan was to go out
after the main body and to neither hurry nor tarry, just like they briefed.
This was my first stab at the distance and speed was not important, but getting
down the trail in a timely manner with a sound horse was!
The morning dawned and we mounted up, the pack had long since disappeared down
the road and off we three (Irving, Kathy and I) went.  Not last as it turns out
but at the back of the pack for sure.  We trotted, we cantered we looked at the
scenery and had a blast.  Summertime is an old pro on these hills and took such
great care of me--I could not have imagined how graceful he could be, but what
a horse!  He danced on the rocks with such delicacy that I was stunned, had I
been running the face plants would have been numerous for sure :-)
Soon we approached the first hold and Summertime marched right in at a HR of
52, had a mighty drink of water and then proceeded to dump about 4 gallons of
urine all over the place--he was having a good laugh at someone for sure.  All
A's and one A- and all was well in the world.  Off we went and the scenery
began to change, we rode on a beautiful farm for 3.1 of the nicest trails (the
sign even said so!) and soon came to the major climb up the rocks and stream
beds.  Again Summertime danced and pranced and didn't have a care in the world.
Over the top and down the other side, all was good in the world!  Even more
bliss or was that ignorance? Soon it was time for the people to dismount and
water some trees and I noticed Summertime had twisted a shoe--oops.  Hand
trotted down the trail to a flat spot and put on the easy boot, but he was not
happy with it and soon it became apparent he was favoring the leg.  We trotted
into the hold and quickly pulsed down, but the trot out was not favorable, the
nice vet said put the shoe back on and let's try it again.  So we did and while
he was much better it was decided we had enough for the day.  My two
companions, Irving and Kathy proceeded on into what has been lovingly described
as a bit of hell.
So Summertime and I loaded up and went back to ridecamp.  His problem rectified
itself within 4 hours and he is sound and happy and so am I.
So for all you other newbies out there--what did I learn?  So much it is hard
to list it all.  But first and foremost, that the other riders are so caring
and so generous with their knowledge and instruction and if you just ask and
take the time to listen they will steer you straight.
That your horse really does know what he is doing and if you train correctly he
will carry you the distance, but also that things beyond your control will
change the plans so be flexible.
That this is a lot of fun and while I realize that to Finish is to Win, just
being out there is sometimes enough.  Summertime did not care if he crossed the
finish line or not, that is purely a human emotion, I too did not care
(disappointed--of course, but there is always next time) so do not worry
whether or not you will complete, just get out there and try.
Well sorry for this long rambling post but I just wanted to put in my 2 cents
and to let ride management know not to change the course since I really would
like to tackle it again!  And to all of you that have been so kind and generous
in teaching my wife and me about this sport, I cannot begin to thank you
enough, although as I said I will gladly tutor you all on the aspects of
running these distances (so far no takers) :-)
Be well, hug your horses and get out there and live life as it is too short to
not be having fun!
Bill and Summertime in Maine where it is no longer summer

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com