Re: [RC] Let em' race! - Nancy Mitts

As a ride manager (Central Region) I do my best to provide as safe a finish line as possible. I try to take take the trail over the finish line on an earlier loop so potential racers can look it over. Early enough in the ride so no entrant should be there at the time the 50's are finishing. The ENTRANTS who choose to race do so at their on risk.
My ride takes place on a state conservation area and a private trail riding establishment. I mark the finish area from both ends so that the pleasure riders have warning to stay off the finish lane. They have other options to ride in and out of camp to the trails. Not every ride has the option to keep this much distance clear around the finish. If a ride is in a location where management can't keep a finish line clear then riders need to decide if the right to race is worth not having a ride at all.
The other riders on the trails have not assumed the risk that some idiot feels that because they paid an entry fee they have the god given right to mow down everything in their path. I know that pleasure riders also sometimes race and act irresponsibly, their behavior is not my responsibility. When entrants in an organized event excuse their own behavior because they are in a race, it becomes the organizers responsibility.
I announce at the pre-ride meeting that our ride is sharing multi-use trails and everyone has an equal right to be there. When approaching a group they are to slow down, preferably to a walk, give people time to yield the trail. If I get credible reports about riders who endanger other riders or are rude and abusive I will disqualify them from the ride. Period. The first endurance rider who runs over somebody who complains to the Conservation Department will end Endurance Riding on State Conservation land in Missouri, for everybody. Racing is incompatible with the management plan for the areas.
Riders MUST demonstate they have the abiliy to evaluate unsafe situations and act accordingly, or we don't have to worry about horse deaths at rides, there won't be any rides to go to.
Nancy Mitts

Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet access. Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service providers in your area). https://broadband.msn.com