[RC] my first ride, 1of 2 - Nancy Reed

As I proof-read this I think about how beautiful the Pamo Valley is.  As of this minute I believe it has not been touched by the fires.  I pray for all of us in Southern California.  Be safe and watch out for each other - human, canine and equine!  Nancy

 I wanted to tell you about my first ride.  I am a newbie with a newbie horse, a 5 year old green Arab.  Being an old newbie and a conservative rider I chose a CTR to start with.  We did the 9th annual Ramona Rally and AHA region 1 CTR championship, on October 3-5.  Let me first say that the location was beyond beautiful.  The Pamo Valley in San Diego County is the land that time and developers forgot.  The valley floor had a small stream with an oak and sycamore canopy.  Cows were everywhere as were deer, coyotes and wild turkeys.  The temperature was in the low 80's at mid-day with a nice breeze.  One could not wish for a more perfect fall southern California day.  I was scared to death as I did not have a horse buddy to bring from home.  My greenie, Lyric has done lots of camping, but always with her buddies.  She has never spent the night tied to the trailer.  Did I say I was scared to death?  She trailered the short distance fine, but boy was she awful in camp.  She had temper tantrums, called out constantly and was a really BIG pill.  It then dawned on me after I watched her pee for the millionth time in an hour - Oh s---, she's in season!  Did I tell you I was scared to death? I brushed her getting ready for check in.  I talked to her about what fun we would have.  Lyric would have none of it.  She hated the ride vet; refused to let him even look in her mouth much less press on her gums.  And lunge/trot out, forget it.  Lyric came from a show barn were she was religiously lunged each day.  I can lunge her at home by voice command without a rope.  But at the ride-FORGET IT.  I was mortified. Next I thought, tack up and walk around camp.  Maybe that will calm her down.  Lyric thought that was a fine thing to do as long as I walked too, no riding.

I was still scared to death as Lyric's behavior was the worst it has been in 6 months.  By now I'm thinking I'll just say at camp and maybe drink beer instead of riding.  Friday night my understanding husband told me it would all be OK and to get some sleep.  Sometime about 9 Lyric decided to stop calling out and we all got some sleep.

On Saturday morning at 5:30 a.m. horn honking awoke everyone and everything to a picture perfect day.  Lyric started calling out.  I keep thinking beer sounds good. Lyric ate everything during the night, including e-lytes and every blade of grass hay.  She kept peeing every few minuses. I was scared to death, but figured we had come this far, we done all we could do to get ready, WE ARE DOING IT! I tried to eat some oatmeal (we call it gruel), but I got about 3 bites and gagged.  I rechecked my cantle bag and all my tack.  My husband helped me with the camelback water system and made sure I have some Cliff bars for later.  I was ready to start my first ride.  Who would I ride with; would some poor soul take pity on me and be my ride buddy?  I know Lyric would not go alone - I did not want to go alone. I kept thinking I'd pull if Lyric unseated me and you know, drink beer. To the starting gate I went.  Lyric started to rear, buck and have a hissy fit.  I kick her forward, do tight circles, think of beer.  Then I am saved, clutched from the jaws of curtain defect and rejection-by a junior!!!