[RC] Spook Run (my story and I'm sticking to it!) - FancyNite

Spook Run.... Always a TREAT!

Well, it started out BEAUTIFUL.  We arrived at camp about noon, got the horses all snuggled in.  We registered, vetted in... visited and was planning an early night!  The ride was to start at 6:30.... so up at 4:30!  Needless to say sharing the bed with two bed hogs, makes for a short night!  (personal note, MUST make a different bed for Colton!)

While it was darned cold during the night, by 5am it was a lot warmer, OK, maybe not A LOT... but it was warmer.  (maybe it was just nerves??? eg)

We managed to get out of camp without to much chaos.  Savage of course lived up to his name... but at least he was controllable this time!  Thank you Kellie, Mom and Debbie for BOXING him in!  (lol)

Thanks to some trail vandalism.... We managed to take a wrong turn on the first 25 mile loop (making it 30 miles! YUCK!).  I think it took most of the day to NOT be mad at myself.  I have rode this trail A LOT, and I admit it... I should have been whipped with a wet noodle, but when it is that early in the morning, and you have your hands full with an idiot.... well, sometimes shit happens.  I screwed up!  But hey, I got to ride 5 more miles than some of the others!  lol  (at 2:47 am.... I wasn't finding that comment very funny!)  They offered to let us cut off some of the trail the next time through and just go for completion.  Some did... we decided NO.... We were here to do this ride and we weren't going to let it conquer us that easily.

It was a great day.  I got to ride with some of my dearest friends, including my Mommy! (eg)  We unfortunately lost Amy (Yatsko) at the 65 mile mark and Kellie (Moore) and Debbie (DeWolf) at the 80 mile mark. BUMMER!  So it was left to Mom and I to kick this trail in the rear.... Which is exactly where we ended up!  lol  Those last 20 miles seemed like eternity!  Let me tell you why....  We started out on the first pink loop <10 mile loop> (loops were 25 - 15 - 25 - 15 - 10 - 10) with our lights duct taped to our helmets and breast collars.  Well, let's just say there were GOBLINS in the woods.  We lost our lights (yes, all 3 of them) at approx. 4 miles into the loop.  I will also mention... IT WAS PITCH BLACK!  All you could see was a glow stick every now and then.  YIKES.  Mom mentioned a few times that Big foot was following us!  lol  We managed to survive that loop and were begging for more lights.  Our crew (awesome as always... Thanks my darling hubby... I love you, and Dave & Debbie Cook... I love you too!) had us all set up with NEW lights and New batteries.  YEAH!  Well, they lasted about an hour.... Mine went first, then Moms.... Man, we aren't sure what was up... but it wasn't a good night for lights!  (at least not for us!)  This time they quit on us about 2 miles from the finish.  (that's better than most of the loop!)  It was really weird though.... If we let the lights “Take a break”.... They would work for about 30 seconds before dying again... so when we hit the lights.... It was hurry up and TROT!  Then when they went out again, we screamed “SHIT”.. and had to walk AGAIN!  I will say, this was a 100 miles I thought would never end!  But they did and we managed!  YEAH!

I want to say thanks to EVERYONE who cheered us on and made us smile.  Yes, we even seen a little moon on the ride!  (and no it wasn't Mom!  lol)

Thanks to Lois and Bob for yet again putting on a GREAT ride.  Also to Bob McAfee, sorry we kept you up so late and THANKS for actually staying up to see us finish.  (although he did manage to cat nap in his truck!)  Thank you also to Loree (?) (sorry I forget her last name) and Carolyn Loedeman, the weekends AHA helpers... They were there too!  I was amazed at the people still awake, waiting for us to finish.  Thank you to all.  It was a GREAT site to see the RUNWAY (which is exactly what that finish line looked like) out in the woods at 2:47 am!  Thank you also to all their helpers and to the vets.... Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!   We will be back!!!!

I mostly want to thank my horse (although a butthead), I love you dearly and look forward to every mile we share!  You've got 2 down, only 8 more 100s to go!  Anglo-powered!!!!!

Ride far and Safe!
Jinnifer Plummer and Fancy “Savage” Nite+