[RC] [Guest] Spook Run WARNING - Ridecamp Moderator

Teresa Finnerty nanjo@xxxxxxxxx
Has anybody noticed the size of the trailers at rides in the past few years?
Isn't it great to go to a ride and have all the luxuries of home at your fingers!
You can go to the fridge and get almost anything just like home.
This week I went to Spook Run for the 100 miles and took my friend to pit crew for my horse and me. We arrived Tuesday evening set up camp and I went off to check out about my entry and visit with fellow Canadians. My pit crew had dinner and was sorting out her stuff at the trailer. I returned and we talked for a bit then turned in for the night.
We didn't need the furnace or the hot water started till morning but the fridge was on and working great full of the food we needed till Saturday when we planned to leave and come home.
It is funny you go to the ride a day early and have everything ready so you can chill the day before the 100 miles and look after your horse all day.
Well that wasn't to be for us. At about 1 am Kelly woke up and started to call me that she was going to be sick. Feeling not right myself I went to the back of the trailer for a pail and then we went back to sleep only for Kelly to wake me an hour or so later that she was going to be sick to her stomach. Ok so Kelly had food poisoning from the dinner she ate the night before. At about 4 am we turned on the furnace for some heat and then to sleep again but I had an offal headache that wouldn't stop. Kelly wasn't any better by morning and Red Express never settled down all night hitting the trailer and calling the whole night which is very strange for her to do. So I figured my headache was from the lack of sleep and the busy day we had the day before.
When I got going in the morning I went to find out about the nearest hospital to take Kelly to and get her checked out. I did need a pit crew healthy for the next day.
After finding out the information I needed I went back to the trailer to unhook and get Kelly going.
Ron Phair came back to the trailer to check on Kelly and when he came out Ron said I think you guys have carbon monoxide poisoning.
Off to the hospital we went and Kelly was admitted and checked I said if Kelly had it I would admit myself after I went back to camp and looked after Red. Well Kelly had carbon monoxide poisoning and they said she had to be transferred to Kentucky to Jewish Hospital and be put into a pressurized tank to clear her system.
Myself I declined treatment and went back to camp to look after my horse then go pick up Kelly from the hospital.
I did go to the hospital when we got home only to find out that the poison is everywhere in my system and I have to be very careful for the next 4 or 5 days and the headaches will slowly go away. They also say that in this time heart attacks can happen if you don't take it easy that is when I mentioned to the doctor I rode a 100 miles on my horse.
Please everybody make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector and it is working at all times.
I would also like to thank everyone who helped us at Spook Run and the neighbours parked to either side of us. Cheryl for watering Red and Jody for closing the trailer (ha ha) I still have your bungee strap. Bill for providing the site. Ride management.
Also a special thanks to Kelly for having a small bladder because we would have been a couple of corpses in a trailer Wednesday morning.
Remember your horse but rember yourself this was to close for comfort. Use your detectors they are in their for a reason.
The next time anybody sees Earl Baxter ask him if he fixed his.