Re: [RC] the sport? - Truman Prevatt

I suspect that if the vet was not making a diagnose (what's causing the lameness) or prescribing treatment it is not considered practicing. In CTR's there is normally a lay judge and a vet judge. In some sanctioning bodies the lay judge and the vet judge both score the same thing. In others the lay judge will not judge metabolic factors but will judge lameness soreness of the back etc. as will the vet.

I've never heard of that being considering practicing veterinary medicine by the lay judge and these events have been going on a lot longer than endurance rides and there is one at the Biltmore every year. As far as treatment a licensed vet can supervise a unlicensed vet in most states and that's perfectly okay.

Truman

Stephanie E Caldwell wrote:
They aren't practicing.  They are control vets.  The treatment vets
need to be licensed.  California law, according to the vet board, is
that if a control vet who isn't licensed has to treat in an emergency,
they can do so under the (telephonic) guidance of a licensed vet.

I don't have the law in front of me, so I might be a little off. But, when
my case for practice of veterinary medicine without a license went through
the vet board it was my understanding that to do anything to do with vetting
that the vet had to be licensed. The inspector and I had a long talk about
it last year, he said even minor things like watchign a trot out would be
considered practice without a license.

NC is really strict, though, much more than surrounding states. There's a SC
vet that is a licensed vet and Equine Dentist that doesn't haev an NC
license and can't practice up here.

Steph