Re: [RC] LD vs 50--Let's ruffle some feathers - Jon . Linderman

I still feel we ought to encourage use of LD as training, and
de-emphasize its use as a racing goal in and of itself.

Well, I dunno.  I have ridden with people who do alot of rides and all they
want to do is LD's.  Their horses are fit for doing fast times and doing
multiple 25's like shore to shore.  All they want to do is 25's so the way
I see it the AERC has provided them a niche to enjoy what they want to do.
I think if they were pressured to move up with rules, as many other
disciplines and sports do, or if they tried a 50 & decided it wasn't for
them they'd be kinda screwed in terms of going back to LD's.  I thnk the LD
serves so many purposes for so many people.  Some days when doing an LD I
think great, its 11 am I'm done, time for a shower & a beer, and I can go
root for my friends, even help crew a bit.  Other days I want the challenge
of a 50.  I have those options & I like it.  Unlike some sports if someone
might be considered "sand bagging" by competing below their ability, their
isn't a huge pot of gold at any distance so I think the people who make a
career of LD's are fine doing what it is they enjoy.

Another aspect of LD's for me is the rare chance to ride w/my wife.  Once
in a blue moon I can convince her to  put down her show clothes and do a 25
w/me. Those opportunities are rare & she won't even think about a 50.  If
somehow my horse & I were ruled out of LD's I would lose that rare
opportunity to enjoy a ride w/my better 4/5th's.

Actually why does it make a difference if I wanted to do a 50 this weekend
and two weeks from now what to go run a fast LD for training to get the
horse in shape for a 100?  It doesn't and that's the great thng about the
sport.

I agree! Swing a leg over it, point it down the trail, and go whatever
distance you want, just make sure your horse is safe and sound at the end.

Jon