[RC] Size of horse at AERC nat'l champ - saioak

continued in training until 1998. Thereafter, she kept herself relatively
fit running with my other mares up/down the hill overlooking >>>my farm.

I was seriously interested in whether she had run...not just trying to

corner someone.
  For years I have read the bantering that goes back and forth on this board. >From the question and answers that are posted I know many here are very knowledgeable if not professional horsemen/women. Others come to this board looking for answers and may be new to Endurance/Sporthorses and or have little experience with horses at all. I did not feel cornered by your question.

Keenly aware that anyone can look up the records of a given horse/rider competing in Endurance and may try to emulate that same program, I felt your question to be an honest one. With a different horse/rider combination Mommesin’s Ride schedule over this past year could have been the steps toward disaster. By that I mean; Mommesin had a solid base of athletic training hardened by races/Alyx has ridden several thousand miles on many different horses having the ability to decide whether or not she could safely compete Mommesin in 100 Mile races within the given time frame. This same program may/would not work for the average horse.

I would not have let many people take this mare to be pointed towards the Pan Am with this given time frame. Before making my final decision, I spoke at great length with Randy Eiland a trusted friend about Alyx’s ability. I knew her strengths/weaknesses before sending Mommesin to her.

Having spoken with Alyx via phone/email numerous times over the past year, I have seen her mature tremendously in these past six months. She is becoming a very responsible young woman who I hope will one day become an outstanding trainer. Alyx is now working with Stacctinacity who while trained for the track, was not raced and therefore will need to have a more Classic Endurance Training Schedule, slowly building her endurance/stamina. Sometime in the distant future Mommesin will be retired and Stacctinacity is being groomed to take her place. They have virtually the same pedigree but Stacctinacity is 15’3 + hands tall.

Now...another question. Do you find that horses that *weren't* especially
successful on the track (maybe not competitive enough) cross over into
endurance better?
Absolutely! The muscles of some Arabian horses cannot “fire” until they have been galloped out for several miles. The longest Arabian race at the Track is about 1-½ miles / 12 Furlongs and usually the conditions on these races are for older/more-experienced horses.

weren't* especially successful” …That’s a different matter all together. In Racing in particular there are essentially two ways to train a horse; the Classic Method in which a horse is started from the ground and developed as the individual is ready to move forward culminating in races ....  or ....  the Cowboy’s Version in which a horse is bucked out, taken to the track galloped/raced around daily for exercise in a make-it-or-break it mentality culminating in races. Were the horses you speak of  not successful because of their maturity (mentally/physically) at the time of training/racing ? the distance they ran ?  the trainer ? the expertise of the exercise rider ? the jockey that rode them ? the track they raced at ? or the unseen problems they developed along the way ????????

You have to be fairly astute to know which of the factor/factors came into play. Caveat emptor applies. There are many wonderful ex-Arabian racehorses out there, but if you’re going to purchase one I would spend $500-600 to have the joints ex-rayed and the tendons ultra sounded. Preferably this work be done by a Track Vet in a Clinic set up for racehorses. They have seen hundreds if not thousands of racehorses and the problems that ensue. Their equipment/personnel is usually state-of-the-art. I say that because I have received X-rays taken with inferior equipment /and or diagnostic decisions made that were not correct. If a Track Vet is not available then choose one whose clients have competed in Endurance/Sporthorse Events “for many years”. The horse is free ? ... Then take him/her and train it for a while, you'll know soon enough.

I've been a little leary of horses who actually stayed on the track and raced several years. I've had very few who didn't retire "sound". Most have gone on to become successful in their chosen disciplines or are now ridden for pleasure. Caveat emptor applies,  but you could be passing up a really terrific horse. Case in point: Bajamigo was an Arabian racehorse I sold to Garret Ford; he went on to compete in Endurance for over 3000 miles. If you really like an individual have them checked out as I mentioned above and then proceed.

ran across one of my dad's App racer's racing plates the other day and it

was *tiny*. That horse later had a size one foot when it was my pleasure

horse. I wonder if the size of the shoe was reflected by the age of the horse when it was trained/raced for the track?

 I'm leary of the way they shoe them there (at the track) and its long term

effects. Any insight? I have seen atrocious shoeing at both the Track as well as at the Showgrounds and am sure you've seen it in Endurance. At the track some (not many) trainers prefer a long toe/ short heal thinking that it lengthens the horses stride. I know one thing for sure, if the horse is not made of steel it won’t be too long before this individual is bowed. Long term effect …  of improper shoeing is that the horses damages his tendons, suspensories, ligaments, rips muscles, chips bones,  ect. ect. ect.   I once knew a Thoroughbred Owner/Farrier who purposely trimmed one hoof shorter than the other thinking that the individual would navigate the turns better . Needless to say he crippled many horses   …Yikes ! Me ?..... I like toes short and the angle of the heal in line with the angle of the shoulder .... now how hard can than be .... don't ever take your eyes off the farrier.  While I had grooms at the Track I always held my own horses for the Farrier .... This may be the single most important thing I did besides checking my horses legs/hooves "each-and-every-day" in the morning before training and once again after they came back to the barn.

Bev Scott   Ocala Fl.