[RC] Size of horse at AERC nat'l champ - rides2far

.> I would not have let many people take this mare to be pointed
towards the Pan Am with this given time frame. Before making my final
decision,
I spoke at great length with Randy Eiland a trusted friend about Alyx?s

ability. I knew her strengths/weaknesses before sending Mommesin to
her.

O.K. I feel like saying...let's start over at the beginning. :-) It's the
reporter in me. You started off telling us her pedigree etc. Could you
instead tell her story from the beginning. Things I'm curious about:  How
many years did she race?
What was her record?
Is Alyx riding her for you or does she own her? (sounds above as if it's
a loan but I'd gotten the impression she owned her). You are in Fla. but
she seems to be getting your horses in NM.  Are you racing them there are
are these horses you've sold in the past?

Keenly aware that anyone can look up the records of a given horse/rider
competing in Endurance and may try to emulate that same program,

I love looking up the records...but I am well aware they don't tell the
whole story. If anybody looks on *my* record they'll see a horse I
started out  in 50's placing 3rd, then 2nd, then 1st & BC, then I guess
it won't show it but the next one was "didn't vet in". At the time I
thought the fact he'd been ridden at all for 2 years counted as 2 years
of conditioning, but it really hadn't been consistant enough. Live and
learn. When I see a horse do it successfully I've found chances are that
it is a horse who has been conditioned long before they competed that
fast. Anybody who goes by the records needs to look closer.  I've seen
records that look kind of rough when it was a good rider who had some bad
luck. On the other hand there are some pretty reckless people whose
records don't convey that either. Nevertheless, the records are a great
place to start.

By the way, you talked a lot about Alex being so physically fit. I'm sure
she is, but don't underestimate  the Bev Grays out there. When you get to
the upper levels of competition it's pretty awe inspiring to see legs
with calves that look like steel springs on these women. They're fit, and
they're good. Amy Whelan used to say that Val could beat you on a
Shetland Pony. I'll add Meliss Crain to that. :-)

Alyx is now working with Stacctinacity who while trained
for the track, was not raced and therefore will need to have a more
Classic
Endurance Training Schedule, slowly building her endurance/stamina.

I noticed 3 different Stacc... horses on her record. One I believe was
just Stacc and I figured might have been an abreviation for either of the
other two. Are there 2 or 3? I have a hard time getting excited about
names and pedigrees. One comment about a "ground eating floating trot"
gets my attention much quicker.

Were the horses you speak of  not successful > because
of their maturity (mentally/physically) at the time of >
training/racing ? the
distance they ran ?  the trainer ? the expertise of the exercise >
rider ? the
jockey that rode them ?

That's the problem. If you're not an insider at the track...who knows?

You have to be fairly astute to know which of the factor/factors
came into play.

Spent a little time as a 17 year old hanging around the QH & App racing
at Pompano Park. Saw a lot of people doing things wrong from what I could
tell...but a lot of broke trainers who had to take practically anything
they could get to get rid of a horse 1/2 way through the meet when he
wasn't winning or...even if it just needed 6 weeks off because they
couldn't afford to keep it there and couldn't afford to send it home.

but if you?re going to purchase one I would spend
$500-600 to have the joints ex-rayed and the tendons ultra sounded.
Preferably
this work be done by a Track Vet in a Clinic set up for racehorses.

Do you feel an outsider would get a fair shake when the seller might be a
regular customer and the buyer just someone from "out there"? I checked
into the ad for the Darley Stud that was in endurance news. They have
lots of 4 year olds for sale. What age do they start racing Arabs? There
was no mention of race records, just herd reduction. $2500 for a horse
that's ready to start and very well bred doesn't seem like a bad deal.
You'd think somebody would put their photos up on a web site.  I'm not
quite ready for another horse yet, but I do notice these guys. My
daughter would love for her next horse to be off the track too but I'm a
little partial to the 14.2 mountain pony build. >g<

Angie McGhee
Wildwood, GA

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!