Re: [RC] tying up question (long) - DreamWeaver

At 10:51 PM 10/6/2003 -0400, David & Maggie wrote:
I feed Golden Pride from Kent. I don't have a tag in here with me, so I'm not sure what the molasses content is. OK. I feel stupid, what's the molasses got to do with it?

Email them and ask, they should be able to send it to you.

It may not have anything to do with it, but some of my friends who had horses tie up took them off of sweet feed and they stopped tying up.  It was that simple.

My experience shows that my own horses did have mental changes when fed feeds with a high molasses content -- this can lead to lots of problems, not paying attention (leading to missteps and lameness), or becoming difficult to control.  Which, for some horses can lead to all sorts of metabolic problems.  A horse that is wound tight often doesn't drink or eat well, and so on.

Some beet pulp pellets that I have purchased in the past have had more molasses in them than I like.  I really do watch this with my horse Rocky.  He is fun to ride when he's in control, but it just makes me mad at him when he's zinging off the walls and orbiting and levitating his way down the trail (and now, of course, I know that the problem was me, not him -- I should not have been feeding him so much Complete Advantage!)

karen