[RC] tying up question (long) - DreamWeaver

She thought that the most likely cause of Lily and Shadow's tie ups was our complete feed. She looked at the tag from the bag (Susan G has also looked at it online) and believed it to be a balanced diet,

Hi Maggie -- another thing to consider, is the molasses content in your complete feed.

For example:
Complete Advantage is 20% molasses content
Equine Senior is 5-6% molasses content

I have been using a complete feed made by manna-pro that is 1% molasses and the horses like it the best of anything they've been fed.  I have been lucky to not have tying up problems and part of why I think I have avoided it so well is because of many reasons:  I have geldings, I don't feed any kind of grains when I trailer, I don't feed complete feeds with high molasses content when I trailer, or when the horses are not worked and my horses have always been good eaters.  I know without a doubt that feeding Complete Advantage will make Rocky zig and zag quite a bit more than when he doesn't get it.  I'm just lucky that his mental moods don't transfer over to his metabolic state, which does seem to happen with some horses, the difference may be that he expends that energy rather than bottling it up. :-)

If you write to Punrina, or Manna Pro (or whoever makes your feed) they should be able to get back to you with the molasses content as well as any other information you'd like to know.  Or, if you email me directly I can forward posts to you from those companies that tell what is in their feeds.  Rocky just completed his 125th ride, and Weaver his 110th, I wish I could have figured some of this stuff out sooner!

Happy Trails,
Karen
in NV