From: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Patti Kuvik" <plwoodbury@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 8:21 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Adios/Metabolic failures@ PAC

If you take two simple concepts - "fit to continue" and the AERC drug
rule which bands
"any invasive procedure" and IV's are invasive as is a stomach tube -
this says to me that if a horse has to have IV's after the ride he is
not fit to continue. If you must say he's got his completion now "lets
go hook him up," they are "not fit to continue."

There are situations where sometime after the horse has finished and
wound down from the competition where the need might arise to rapidly
rehydrate the horse so that to prevent the onset of a problem. But IMO
those should be few and far between.

Yes IV's are routinely given to human athletes in the professional
ranks, college ranks and even now the high school ranks and some are
administered at "half time" as someone pointed out they saw during the
FL vs. Tenn football game so the participant can play the second half.

However, a human has a choice - chooses to be out there and he chooses
to push himself to the point that he needs an invasive procedure. IMO
routinely pushing a horse to the point that he needs IV's to recover is
not "fit to continue" and it is not good horsemanship or within the
letter of sprint of the AERC rules.

How do others feel.

Truman

Patti Kuvik wrote:

As a newbie, I don't feel I have any background to contribute here
except-
I worked as a medic at a large international bike race (100 miler). There
was a large tent set up at the finish line with cots; I would estimate
40-50% of the riders came in for their "post-race" IV of one or two
litres
of Lactated Ringers. It was obviously expected and planned for.
It was also not uncommon to drop a litre or two of LR into our local
firefighters after working a brush fire line.
Sure beats a trip to the ER.
I've also helped my vet hydrate horses at horse shows - and they weren't
working near as hard as the PAC horses.
Patti Kuvik
Vail AZ