Re: [RC] Adios/Metabolic failures@ PAC - Maggie Mieske

I believe that a horse should be "fit to continue"... this year when I won
BC at the Pyramid Challenge, the Egyptian horses were presented in the main
arena and the announcer said something like this..."It was important in
times of war for the horses and their riders to get to the battle as quickly
as possible but there was an even greater premium placed on horses who not
only arrived quickly but who arrived and were able to go into battle
immediately".  Something to that effect!  I LIKE that example a LOT.
I also agree that IVs are invasive as are tubings.  If my horse needs to be
treated, whether it is a life saving necessity or not, then he is NOT fit to
continue into the battle.
It was also brought up earlier that some of the riders who are giving IVs to
their horses after rides are vets...is there some protocol at a ride about
just who can or cannot administer these kinds of procedures?  Obviously a
layperson like myself would never even consider doing something like that
but we DO have vets out there riding who at least have the knowledge and
ability to insert an IV or tube a horse...what are the ramifications of a
vet doing this to their horse or allowing another vet, not the treatment vet
at a ride, to administer treatment to your horse?  This thread has produced
some interesting food for thought!
Miles of smiles,
Maggie
http://arabianquest.com/samaha_arabians.htm
"So many of our dreams seem impossible, then improbable, then inevitable."
Christopher Reeve