Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] Protecting.... - terre

Now there is no reason the AERC cannot be much more proactive in their enforcement of equine welfare. Today it takes someone filing a protest, but why not in the case you state where someone is in fact chronically riding their horse to the edge, an automatic protest is filed or the case of a by the horse welfare committee and it is handled the way any other protest is handled.

It always seems to come down to data gathering.
Someone has to keep track of how often each AERC member has a horse treated (and this is after we define "treatment"); someone has to decided how often is grounds for an automatic protest. So far, we can't even get post-ride reports back!

I don't see that losing points is going to make much difference - not being able to ride might.

It makes a difference to the people who are riding for points! Especially those who are hoping to sell their horses for big bucks. I don't think these people ride for the pleasure of it.

I would wish that we could find a way to motivate these people to back off. That is WAY preferable to punishing them afterwards. If someone is ambitious and competitive, and is well up in the standings--if that person knew they could lose it all if they override--don't you think that might scare them into being more careful? If not slowing down, and least caring for their horse to the very, very best of their ability?

There are (very rare) people who are either too stupid or too uncaring to be handled. I say hang 'em.
terre