[RC] Protecting.... - terre

        Endurance is an 'extreme sport'.  We seem to be an 'extreme' group of people, and nowhere is this more evident than on-line: one 5yo child riding a 100 generates thousands of words and demand for rule changes, one accident due to the lack of a breastcollar ditto....
        That said, one equine fatality due to our sport is one fatality too many!  I emphasize 'due to our sport' because some fatalities may be largely unrelated--I refer to cases of preexisting tumors, or parasite damage, or aneurisms; these deaths could have happened in the pasture or in a less demanding sport.  I believe, however, that the majority of treatments and deaths do not fall into that category; the majority are caused by us.  Bob's point about pre-ride contributory factors is certainly a valid one, but I fear analysis of all factors is impossible; each horse is a unique individual with a unique history.  All we can reasonably do, at this time and with our available resources, is concentrate on our performance at rides, and try to determine the things that cause us to fail to adequately protect our partners.
        I think we fail for one of three reasons--1)ignorance, 2)error (or DIMR) or 3)callousness.  "Ignorance" is a harsh word, but I mean it in its most literal sense--we simply don't know enough.  The best vets in the world cannot always predict or prevent a treatment; I feel we are lacking a 'tool' or a specific piece of knowledge which would help.  The only 'cure' for this that I can see is continued research.  Similarly, some riders are simply not educated enough about the technical aspects of the sport.  We need to find ways to educate them, hopefully before they make catastrophic errors!  Where one of these riders loses a horse, they should be dealt with with compassion and sensitivity--but they must be dealt with.  Full disclosure for the benefit of all.
        "Error" is where someone who ought to know better--does know better--simply screws up.  It's human error.  There is no 'cure'.  All we can hope for is to make the rides as 'fool proof' as possible (adequate number and lengths of holds, adequate water, thorough vetting procedures)--given that we are all, occasionally, fools.  This is where analysis of which ride logistics result in statistically fewer treatments may be invaluable.  If we can develop a code of "best practices" which appear to be "safer", we may be able to eliminate most of the consequences of human error.  Again, where a rider loses a horse this way they should be dealt with compassionately--I doubt there is anything we could do or say that would punish them as much as they will be punishing themselves.  But again, full disclosure of the circumstances is necessary for the benefit of the rest of us.
        "Callousness" is the very rare occasion (I truly believe) where the rider simply does not care what happens to the horse. They are focused on ego gratification, financial gain, or both.  The only way to deal with riders of this kind is through 'sanctions' of some kind.  In this case, I reserve my compassion for the victim--the horse.
        The bottom line?  (aren't you glad I finally have one?)  We need to protect our horses from  ignorance via rider education and research.  We need to protect them from human error by making the management of competition as 'safe' as possible. We need to protect them from callousness by sanctioning the guilty.
        Personally, I am willing to help with education and research, and do.
        My only suggestion regarding management at this time is that I think we should only allow 30 minutes to recover at the finish.  (I have no real reason to think this would make a difference; I've just always felt that the 60 mins is inconsistent with 'fit to continue', since a horse that took more than 30 minutes on course would NOT be.  I think this is a 'hold over' from the old days before 'fit to continue'; I believe FEI only allows 30 minutes at the end and is perhaps ahead of us in this respect).
        As for the last; the P&G committee is capable of dealing with outright, provable cases of abuse.  But there may be many more that fall just short of "cruelty", and yet are a train-wreck waiting to happen.  I believe that most if not all of these could be prevented by adopting Angie's brilliant idea of a few days ago--that a rider whose horse requires serious treatment (IV therapy, etc) lose all points for that season and accrues mileage only.  ("requires" and "serious" to be determined by the ride vet).

terre (geez--another flippin' novel!)