Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] Protecting.... - Truman Prevatt

I'll match your novel for a short story.

It's Nov and Billybob DewWart needs 150 points to seal the MW region first place. He goes to the Bo Diddley Memorial 25/50 endurance ride with the sole purpose of winning - which he does. Then shortly after he has completed his horse, Smitley, starts to feel bad and old Billybob pit crew chief reminds Billybob of "Angies Rule," and Billbob says OMYGASH if I have him treated we'll lose everything - my claim to fame and fortune will be dashed to the ground and smashed into bits by this rule.

So old Billybob decides to forego staying for the after ride entertainment ( a free Bo Diddley concert ) and  to take the horse home - it's only and hour dirve - and call his vet out. On the way home he calls his vet and has him meet Billybob at his home and tells him the problem.

But alas - since time is critical in giving emergency care - by the time Billybob gets home poor sold Smitley is on deaths downward sprial, a sprial from which he never recovers. Three hours later Billyboy is laying his beloved Smitley to rest in a big hole in the ground in his pasture.

Billybob is kicking himself - "if only I'd gone to the vet at the ride - this would not have happened."

Any rule has unintended consequences. I feel the unintended consequences from Angie's Rule could be an absolute desaster to some poor horse that needs the care but someone's ego or just plain bad judgement gets in the way.

We should be in this to help the horse not to further endanger the horses.

Truman

terre wrote:
     most if not all of these could be prevented by adopting Angie's brilliant idea of a few days ago--that a rider whose horse requires serious treatment (IV therapy, etc) lose all points for that season and accrues mileage only.  ("requires" and "serious" to be determined by the ride vet).

terre (geez--another flippin' novel!)