Re: [RC] Riding Cavalry - superpat

----- Original Message -----
From: "Deanna German" <finishis2win@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <horsecamping@xxxxxxxxx>; "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2003 9:06 AM
Subject: [RC] Riding Cavalry

I would love to see FEI and international competitions conducted purely as
cavalry events. How fast would that get rid of the "jockeys"? >g<

Deanna

Having never done a 100 (started once but got my only career pull at 12
miles....another story) and never having had the advantage of having a crew,
I nevertheless have some observations.
When I have come into a hold or the finish, it is oh so wonderful to see a
friend who has already completed or may be crewing for someone else who just
pitches in and starts sponging my horse or helps pull tack or jams a
sandwich or piece of fruit into my hand. ( a huge belated "thank you" if you
recognize yourself). I feel confident that I could have completed the ride
successfully without the help and encouragement but it is also a special
grace to be able to share and allow someone who knows how important these
little things are and can be to give that helping hand.
I have been on the giving end as well and I get a very special pleasure in
helping, even if the rider is a complete stranger. Sometimes that person is
a first timer and the help may actually make the difference in their
enjoyment of the endeavor or how they may view this sport we so love.
I have helped crew for friends and having a knowledgeable crew can make a
huge difference in how efficiently and even safely (this especially applies
for the truly competitive horse and rider teams) a ride can be run.
This is not to recognize that there is a real challenge in completing a ride
Cavalry style and since I do not envision ever running "for the gold", I
will continue to ride without an appointed crew. But if I ever had the horse
who could "go for it", I have no doubt that I would be recruiting the best
crew I could find.
That's one of the beauties of this sport. There's room for varying styles
and proclivities, each with it's own attractions.
Pat