Re: [RC] Neoprene Girth - Heidi Smith

>I have had the opposite experience.  I had problems with mohair, switched to fleese which was better, and changed to neoprene when it bacame available.  I have had no problem with girth sores since (except for a professionals choice that had a foam rubber lining ).

Neoprene seems to be an all-or-nothing thing.  Many horses get by just fine with it, but those who don't will scald, period, sometimes even with very minimal riding and a reasonably loose girth.  (I have one of those scalders--and he does just fine in fleece.)

As to mohair--depends some on the horse's build and how he moves.  If they will stay flat, great.  I've had a couple of horses that no matter how you put it on there, the mohair will bunch and cut.  Others do just fine.

Guess that's why I'm a fan of girths such as the Toklat fleece girths, with enough substance to them not to bunch, and no neoprene next to the horse.

Bottom line--use what works best on that particular individual.

Heidi