From: Karen
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 6:19 PM
Subject: [RC] and a comment

If some of our vets would have chimed in and said, "IF this happens, this is what we MIGHT recommend and here may be some alternatives." Instead, we got nothing. Nothing helpful and nothing educational. Except of course, from Heidi and Kim. If I am going to be totally responsible for my horse, I need all the help I can get in making the best educated decisions for my horse.

It seems to be a delicate situation and a lot of vets are probably not willing to stick their necks out and make statements regarding the treatment or demise of a horse, especially when they were not there and do not know all of the circumstances.

For those who want to know more about how their own horse should be treated if they end up in a situation like that, they should talk to their own veterinarians.  Or, talk to the next friendly ride veterinarian they meet up with at a ride.

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to participate in a discussion on this topic with my local vet (not a ride vet).  We talked for a long time.  He told me that he feels that a high profile ride like that would not use inept vets, and second if they were that inept the rider should be seeking legal council not reporting it on the internet, and third if that person came in needing a horse treated to let him know who it was because he would not touch their horse.  So, you can see why ride veterinarians are not going to be commenting on such issues.  My vet did go on to say that treating the horses is the easy part.  It's what is on the end of their lead lines that is usually the difficult part.

Karen
in NV