[RC] Update : Disunited canter and The breakout colt - Kristene Smuts

Hi guys

Came back from my TWO WHOLE WEEKS OF LEAVE <evil grin> and I got the best
"welcome" in the form of the "Men in tights" posts.  I burst out laughing a
good few times to startled looks from people walking past in the passage ...
thanks!

OK, update time.  The gelding that had the disunited canter was seen to by the
chiro and he couldn't find anything wrong with him - poll & jaw loose, back
fine, neck fine.  However, in his right hind (the horse, not the chiro!), about
10 cm from his backbone, was a huge lump, about the size of half my palm.
Couldn't see or feel it before, but when he pointed it out, I could feel and
see it clearly .... funny that!  Anyway, he thought it might have been buildup
of scar tissue over a period of time, like a few years, and that I should give
Eric 2 shots of Traumeel (homeopathic stuff that breaks up scar tissue and
heals inflamation from inside) and to massage the lump.  The chiro said that it
is the only thing he could find wrong and that maybe the lump pressed on
muscles, making Eric disunite in canter.  So massaged and gave him the shots
and he's much better now.  We even trotted with a fairly low head (giraffe
before) and cantered properly for fair stretches at a time.  The horses are now
in down-time for their African Horse Sickness shots but as soon as I start
serious training for next season, we'll be doing the riding exercises you guys
suggested.

As for the break-out colt ............. I think I finally have his measure!  I
raised the fence to over 6ft, with four strands of tape, about 30cm apart and a
hotwire running on the top and second bottom strands.  I threw in some broken
buckets to see what I can start off with in terms of toys, but he wasn't
interested in those, he wanted the bucket that contained the minerals - the
unbroken bucket.  So, didn't spend any more money on making new toys.  It has
been 3+ weeks without any breakouts or broken fences, so here's hoping.

Ciao
Kristene
South Africa