Re: [RC] and a comment - Truman Prevatt

Several years ago at one of my rides I used my own vet as the treatment vet. She was a good vet and had vetted one endurance ride prior but had little experience in what to expect at a ride. Of course she didn't bring enough fluids. It wasn't a big deal since I ran over to UF vet school and got more.

She was a good vet but most vets don't understand just what can happen. I contacted the AERC and suggested that they develop a set of guidelines to supply to ride managers to turn around so they could supply to their treatment vets as to what to expect, the supplies to have on hand, etc. That was in 1997 - where is it?

We do need guidelines. In the SE almost horses are successfully treated in the field. If they are not improving with in field treatment or if there is a suspicion that surgical intervention is needed, they are sent to a clinic. That is the only thing that makes sense.

Truman

Wendy Mancini wrote:
    My point exactly when I suggested that treating horses at ride site for long periods may be detrimental, esp. when surgical intervention may be required.  I know our treatment vets are trying to consider many factors when deciding when to continue treating at ride site or ship out.  I believe the Veterinary Committee could make some recommendations or protocols for treatment of certain conditions.
    Personally, I'd rather foot the bill for a facility & err on the side of caution than loose my horse.