RE: [RC] and a comment - Wendy Mancini

    My point exactly when I suggested that treating horses at ride site for long periods may be detrimental, esp. when surgical intervention may be required.  I know our treatment vets are trying to consider many factors when deciding when to continue treating at ride site or ship out.  I believe the Veterinary Committee could make some recommendations or protocols for treatment of certain conditions.
    Personally, I'd rather foot the bill for a facility & err on the side of caution than loose my horse.

Truman wrote:
Face it when the treatment vet gets a horse it's not in good shape to
start with. Unless they have a full lab in the field they can't get all
the necessary info they need. They are very dependent on the rider to
tell them what they have noticed and what they and the horse have done.

I is much easier in a clinic where blood and if necessary intestinal
fluid can be pulled and analyzed prior to treatment decisions. At most
rides it is truly emergency medicine. I am amazed at how well they
usually do.

I've seen miracles but they were miracles. I fear that we have come to
expect miracles. This is the real world, not the world of Oz where
miracles are the norm.

Just ask an MD how he would like to have to be taken out of the
emergency room and perform his work in the field. Not many would.