Re: [RC] and a comment - Truman Prevatt

Face it when the treatment vet gets a horse it's not in good shape to start with. Unless they have a full lab in the field they can't get all the necessary info they need. They are very dependent on the rider to tell them what they have noticed and what they and the horse have done.

I is much easier in a clinic where blood and if necessary intestinal fluid can be pulled and analyzed prior to treatment decisions. At most rides it is truly emergency medicine. I am amazed at how well they usually do.

I've seen miracles but they were miracles. I fear that we have come to expect miracles. This is the real world, not the world of Oz where miracles are the norm.

Just ask an MD how he would like to have to be taken out of the emergency room and perform his work in the field. Not many would.

Truman

Karen wrote:
If some of our vets would have chimed in and said, "IF this happens, this is what we MIGHT recommend and here may be some alternatives." Instead, we got nothing. Nothing helpful and nothing educational. Except of course, from Heidi and Kim. If I am going to be totally responsible for my horse, I need all the help I can get in making the best educated decisions for my horse.

It seems to be a delicate situation and a lot of vets are probably not willing to stick their necks out and make statements regarding the treatment or demise of a horse, especially when they were not there and do not know all of the circumstances.

For those who want to know more about how their own horse should be treated if they end up in a situation like that, they should talk to their own veterinarians.  Or, talk to the next friendly ride veterinarian they meet up with at a ride.

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to participate in a discussion on this topic with my local vet (not a ride vet).  We talked for a long time.  He told me that he feels that a high profile ride like that would not use inept vets, and second if they were that inept the rider should be seeking legal council not reporting it on the internet, and third if that person came in needing a horse treated to let him know who it was because he would not touch their horse.  So, you can see why ride veterinarians are not going to be commenting on such issues.  My vet did go on to say that treating the horses is the easy part.  It's what is on the end of their lead lines that is usually the difficult part.

Karen
in NV